This is one of my favorite shrimp recipes and features the unique flavor of fermented sweet wine rice. If you enjoy cuisine with some sweetness, this is a dish for you. I brought this shrimp dish to parties and it was well received by both kids and adults, wherever they grew up, in the North America or in East Asia- perfect for a party menu!
Poached Shrimp with Fermented-Sweet-Wine-Rice Sauce (酒酿虾仁)
(TBSP= tablespoon=15ml, tsp=teaspoon=5ml )
Ingredients for the Main Dish:
Shrimp: 1 pound (peeled and deveined, keep the tail)
Chicken stock: 3 cups
Veg. Oil: 2 TBSP
Ginger: 1 TBSP (minced)
Garlic: 1 TBSP (minced)
Shaoxing Cooking Wine: 1.5 TBSP
Cilantro or scallions (1-3 TBSP)
Ingredients for the Fermented-Sweet-Wine-Rice Sauce:
Fermented-Sweet-Wine Rice (酒酿): 3 TBSP
Ketchup: ¼ cup
Chicken stock: ¼ cup
White rice vinegar: 1 TBSP
Light soy sauce: 2 tsp
Chile oil: 1.5 tsp (pick up one type/brand you like)
Sesame oil: 1 tsp
Corn starch: 1.5 TBSP
Salt: ¾ tsp
1. Prepare the sauce by mixing together all sauce ingredients.
2. In a pot, bring the stock to boil over high heat. Add in the shrimp, and blanch for 40 seconds . Strain the shrimp and drain well.
3. Heat a wok over medium heat, add in oil, then add in the minced ginger and garlic, stir until aroma is released.
4. Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 1 minute until they are well coated with the seasonings.
5. Drizzle in the wine and mix well.
6. Pour the sauce into the wok and stir-fry for 1 to 1.5 minutes, until the sauce thickens and bubbles.
7. Turn off the heat, sprinkle with minced cilantro or shredded scallions.
8. Transfer to a dish and it is ready to serve.