Poached Shrimp with Fermented Sweet Wine Rice Sauce
This is one of my favorite shrimp recipes and features the unique flavor of fermented sweet wine rice. If you enjoy cuisine with some sweetness, this is a dish for you. I brought this shrimp dish to parties and it was well received by both kids and adults, wherever they grew up, in the North America or in East Asia- perfect for a party menu!
Poached Shrimp with Fermented-Sweet-Wine-Rice Sauce (酒酿虾仁)
(TBSP= tablespoon=15ml, tsp=teaspoon=5ml )
Ingredients for the Main Dish:
Shrimp: 1 pound (peeled and deveined, keep the tail)
Chicken stock: 3 cups
Veg. Oil: 2 TBSP
Ginger: 1 TBSP (minced)
Garlic: 1 TBSP (minced)
Shaoxing Cooking Wine: 1.5 TBSP
Cilantro or scallions (1-3 TBSP)
Ingredients for the Fermented-Sweet-Wine-Rice Sauce:
Fermented-Sweet-Wine Rice (酒酿): 3 TBSP
Ketchup: ¼ cup
Chicken stock: ¼ cup
White rice vinegar: 1 TBSP
Light soy sauce: 2 tsp
Chile oil: 1.5 tsp (pick up one type/brand you like)
Sesame oil: 1 tsp
Corn starch: 1.5 TBSP
Salt: ¾ tsp
1. Prepare the sauce by mixing together all sauce ingredients.
2. In a pot, bring the stock to boil over high heat. Add in the shrimp, and blanch for 40 seconds . Strain the shrimp and drain well.
3. Heat a wok over medium heat, add in oil, then add in the minced ginger and garlic, stir until aroma is released.
4. Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 1 minute until they are well coated with the seasonings.
5. Drizzle in the wine and mix well.
6. Pour the sauce into the wok and stir-fry for 1 to 1.5 minutes, until the sauce thickens and bubbles.
7. Turn off the heat, sprinkle with minced cilantro or shredded scallions.
8. Transfer to a dish and it is ready to serve.